Turkish troops to step up security in Turkey after coup attempt

TURKEY – Turkish troops are now mobilizing to retake territory held by Kurdish rebels in the southeast after a failed coup attempt on Sunday, state-run Anadolu Agency reported.

A total of 22 soldiers have been killed in the clashes, with the death toll expected to rise as the operation gets under way, the agency said.

The Turkish military said the operation to regain control of the Diyarbakir province, home to about 100,000 people, had been under way for two days and had resulted in the deaths of more than 100 PKK militants.

The government also said it had taken control of a number of villages and districts along the border with Iraq, where the outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) has been waging a decades-long insurgency.

The military has been battling the PKK for decades in Turkey, which has a Kurdish minority and has fought the group since 1984.

In March, the government declared a state of emergency to allow for security operations.

The PKK, a largely outlawed Kurdish militant group, has waged a three-decade insurgency in Turkey that has killed hundreds of thousands of people.